2 c flour, all-purpose
1 1/2 c organic unbleached sugar
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 c Baking Butter (or prune puree 1/4 c vegetable oil
1/4 c apple sauce
1/4 c soy yogurt
1/4 c instant coffee granules — (espresso powder)
1/2 c water — warmed
2 t vanilla extract
1 1/2 c vegan whipped cream (1 2/4 c soymilk, 2/3 c melted margarine - 80% fat is best)
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Lightly coat 18 standard-size muffin c with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dissolive espresso powder in warm water and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, organic unbleached sugar, cocoal powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
- Sitr together baking butter (or prune paste), oil, apple sauce, soy yogurt, dissolved espresso and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Stir in the flour mixture just until blended.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups, filling each c about halfway full.
- Bake in 350 F. oven 17 to 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
- Cool cupcakes in pan for 3 minutes.
- Turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Just before serving, frost each cupcake with a tablespoonful of whipped topping. Sprinkle with cocoa powder through a fine-mesh seive.